Volume I: Introducing Myself & Beet Hummus


Volume I: Introducing Myself & Beet Hummus

Welcome to my blog!  I am excited to be joining the group and will be posting as regularly as possible moving forward.  Although this is my first post, I have been involved with cooking blogs for a few years now.  My name is James and I have served as a taste-tester for Tricia (Mom) and Nana (Nana) as they cooked their way through French Friday’s, Dorie Greenspan’s book.  I am looking forward to my transition into cook and can’t wait to try my hand at the recipes to come. 



As Tricia & Nana cooked their way through this book, I was lucky enough to be around to taste test.


Going into this recipe, I was admittedly as skeptical as I was optimistic.  I am a big fan and frequent consumer of hummus, but cannot say the same for beets.  Not knowing much at all about beets, I wasn’t sure how they would impact the end product.  I usually have much more savory flavored hummus in the house, so I was excited to see how this would turn out.  No complaints about the preparation either, doesn’t get much easier than throwing it into the blender and watching it go.


Overall, not entirely sold on this recipe.  Beets are still too much of an acquired taste for me.


Overall, not sure about this one yet.  Although I did notice a difference after letting it sit overnight, beets are still a bit too much of an acquired taste for me.  



Comments

  1. Welcome to the group! You are an old hand, really, and we've heard about your taste-testing adventures from both Tricia and Nana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Excited to be joining the group, there are some great recipes to come as well as go back and make up.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the group - how fun to have been a taste tester for all those dishes from AMFT! I agree that beets are a bit of an acquired taste but good on you for giving this a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always fun to try new things, and I expect I will prepare and try a lot of new things as we move forward.

      Delete
  3. Welcome aboard James! We're happy to have you. A legacy member and experienced taste tester. Though I'm a big fan of beets, I'm on the fence on this one too. (I'm the Dorista your mom meets up with in Boston.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to be here! I have heard wonderful things about your Boston adventures. Looking forward to trying my hand at the recipes moving forward!

      Delete
  4. Yay !! I am so excited to see your “entry post” as I knew you were doing wonderful work cooking (and of course as a taste tester...) behind the scenes ! Your photos and description are wonderful - in fact I had the same reaction to the beet addition although as usual, your dad could not get enough of it as Nana shared her results with us lol. Dad is an admitted beet fan and due to the fact that this ingredient seems to cause permanent staining just from looking at it, I tend to avoid having it in my kitchen. Except for when “Dorie Recipes” called for ;) Well done - you are cooking with a FABULOUS group of folks -enjoy the ride ! — Mom, aka Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI James! Welcome to CtBF with MPK! This beet hummus is okay, we are still going through the rest of it (even at half recipe), still looking festive in the bottle chilling in the fridge. Did you get to taste Dorie's chunky beets and icy red onions salad - pgs 122-123? I love that beet salad! Looking forward to your company at CtBF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily! I haven't gotten to the salad yet but it does sound great. I look forward to taking a stab at it!

      Delete
  6. Wait!!! I came back to see other people’s comments, and mines not here! Dang!

    Love your post James. We are excited to have you join us. After all of these year’s tasting and cooking, I’m sure you’ll have great insights!

    I love beets. But didn’t get this one made. I can see why it might be a bit on the fence. But I bet it looks spectacular served alongside other items. Striking for sure.

    Oh, and I’m the Dorista in Arizona who has met up with your Mom and Nana in Philly and Newark (your mom is a great traveler willing to drive to see people!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candice! I am thrilled to be joining the group and look forward to all of the great recipes to come. Looking back at what has been done to this point, there are a bunch I'm very excited to make up too.

      Amazing that this group has brought people together from around the country. I have heard many a wonderful story of my mother and grandma's travels with the Doristas!

      Delete
  7. I don't understand why my comments are not being posted, any suggestions. Nana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Volume II: Potatoes Cooked in Duck Fat

Volume III: Catching Up